The Standard Process Microbiome Test Kit, Powered by BIOHM®, is used to assess the gut microbiome’s diversity and provide suggestions towards a healthier lifestyle.
The Standard Process Microbiome Test Kit is a two-part assessment which is derived from:
- Gut microbiome analysis using next generation genetic sequencing of a stool sample to discover the diversity of the bacteria and fungi that live in your patient’s gut, and
- A Lifestyle Questionnaire that is completed by the patient when the test is registered on the software portal.
As part of the test, you and your patient will receive a comprehensive and personalized Gut Report outlining:
- Microbiome diversity
- Phyla balance
- Presence of beneficial species
- Presence of pathogenic species
In addition to microbiome analysis, the Gut Report includes individualized recommendations and/or insights (that may include Standard Process and MediHerb® products) based on test results. It will provide additional information to assist patients and health care professionals to:
- Measure. Taking supplements and modifying diet and lifestyle does not guarantee a balanced microbiome – it must be measured.
- Modify. With results and insights from the Gut Report, you will have the tools to personalize supplement choices, as well as diet and lifestyle modifications.
- Monitor. Track how dietary, lifestyle, and supplement changes affect the Gut Score™.
What is microbiome testing?
Microbiome testing is the use of next generation genetic sequencing and bioinformatic analysis to compare a patient’s microbiome with that of a normal/healthy individual. This will reveal the composition, balance and levels of bacteria and fungi inside of the gut from a stool sample.
Why has Standard Process partnered with BIOHM to create a gut microbiome test?
- BIOHM has completed thousands of consumer gut microbiome tests,
- Recognized expertise in bacterial and fungal interactions,
- Uses the 16S and ITS rRNA sequencing for microbiome analysis — the gold standard for bacterial and fungal sequencing,
- Validated and standardized testing methods used in 100+ research studies, and
- Easy-to-understand report based on well-established research.
How do I complete the microbiome test?
1) Practitioner orders the kit
- Use the same convenient methods you use to order all Standard Process products.
2) Practitioner completes one-time registration as a health care practitioner via BIOHM’s portal.
- Health care practitioner must register at standardprocess.com/hcp, and complete the one-time registration. You’ll receive an email invitation with the link as soon as you place your order. You and your patients will not be able to view the completed Gut Report unless you have registered as a health care professional.
3) Patient registers the Microbiome Test Kit
- After purchasing the test from a health care practitioner, patient registers their kit online at biohmtesting.standardprocess.com/register. Using the unique Kit ID (included in each kit) and a searchable field, patient registers the kit under their health care practitioner’s name.If a health care professional is personally using the kit for themselves (i.e., as a patient), then the health care professional must separately register as a patient, in addition to registering as a health care professional. Please note that you cannot use the same email address for your provider portal access and patient portal access. The email addresses must be unique.Email verification: If you use Gmail as your email client, please check the Promotions Folder and/or Junk Mail for the email verification email to complete the registration process.Two-factor authentication: A cell phone number is preferred for the two-factor authentication. If you or your patient only has a land line, there is an option to “Send Audio Code” to a landline during the Account Registration Process. Enter your phone number and click the “Send Audio Code” button to receive a phone call with the verification code that you can enter when registering. (There is an option to click the “Send Audio Code” button again if you do not hear it the first time.)
4) Patient collects stool samples
- Patient follows simple instructions provided on the kit to prepare and collect their stool sample.
5) Patient mails sample
- Patient places their kit with the stool sample in the mail (USPS) by using the pre-paid return envelope provided with the kit. It is sent to the BIOHM laboratory.
6) BIOMH Testing
- The patient’s sample is analyzed at BIOHM’s laboratory through a process consisting of seven different stages.
7) Receive and Review Gut Report
- After testing is completed, the Gut Report, which includes the Gut Score™ and Insights Report (diet, lifestyle and product recommendations), is sent to the health care professional. The health care professional will receive an email notification to review and release the report to their patient. Once the Gut Report is released by the health care practitioner in the portal, the patient will receive an email notification that their report is ready. It includes a printable PDF version of the Gut Score™ and Insights report that the health care practitioner may review with the patient to discuss their individualized diet, lifestyle, and supplement insights.For PC and MAC instructions on printing the report, please click here.
- The patient’s diet, lifestyle, and supplement changes can be tracked. Retest every 4 to 6 months to track microbiome levels over time.